Party Wall Surveying Services
We provide party wall surveying services to those looking to carry out works and who need to serve notice on their neighbours, as well as for people who have received notice from a neighbour about work they plan to undertake.
The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 requires notice to be served to adjoining owners where work which falls in to three types is undertaken. Those three types of work are:
- Works undertaken directly to a party wall or structure
- Building on the line of junction between two properties
- Excavating near to an adjoining structure
Not all works to a party wall or structure are covered by the Act, but common examples of those that are include:
- Cutting into a party wall to insert steel beams
- Removing chimney breasts
- Cutting into a party structure to insert flashings or other waterproofing provisions.
Where you intend to carry out works directly to a party wall you must serve the notice to your neighbour(s) at least 2 months before works start.
In situations where you intend on building on the line of junction, or excavating near to an adjoining structure, the notice must be served at least 1 month before works start.
Examples of work that falls into types 2 & 3 lised above include:
- Excavating within 3m of a neighbouring property and to a depth deeper than its foundation.
- Excavating within 6m of a neighbouring property when the excavations are particularly deep, for example when piling.
- Building a new wall where one did not previously exist on or immediately adjacent to the boundary line with another property.
In all of the examples above, notice must be served on all adjoining owners who then have 14 days to respond to the notice confirming whether they dissent of consent to the works. If they dissent, or if they do not respond to the notice within 14 days, then a dispute is created and this must be resolved either by one surveyor, or two surveyors, who will prepare a Party Wall Award.
Need to speak to a party wall surveyor?
Call: 0207 112 88 77
Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
Get a quote
Complete the form below and we will be in touch shortly.