Party Wall Surveyor Greenwich

Party wall surveying services throughout Greenwich and the surrounding areas by RICS Chartered Surveyors.

Murrins Chartered Surveyors provide Party Wall Surveying services across the Greenwich area.

We provide expert party wall surveying services across Greenwich and the surrounding areas. If you are planning works which may require party wall notices to be served, or if you have received a party wall notice from your neighbours, then we can help you.

The range of party wall surveying services we offer in Greenwich is comprehensive and include notices, schedules of condition, Party Wall Awards (Agreements), and advice on complying with the Party Wall (etc) Act 1996.

To talk to a party wall surveyor about your requirements in Greenwich, please contact us.

Our party wall surveying services available to clients in the Greenwich area include:

Acting for the building owner carrying out the works, preparing and serving party wall notices

Acting on behalf of the Adjoining Owner who has received a party wall notice from their neighbours

Preparing schedules of condition

Preparing and agreeing Party Wall Awards

Providing advice about complying with the Party Wall (etc) Act 1996

The Party Wall Act requires that when you carry out works to a party structure, excavate within 3 metres of a neighbouring property, or build on the boundary line, you must serve a notice on your neighbours notifying them of your planned works.

In the event that party wall notices do need to be served, it is essential that they are correctly prepared and served in order to be compliant within the eyes of the Act. If the notice does not comply then you risk having legal action taken against you.

Murrins Chartered Surveyors can advise you on how to ensure you comply with the Act and make the whole process much more straight forward.

Similarly, if you have received a party wall notice, then it is important to ensure that you correctly respond to it. Murrins Chartered Surveyors can respond and manage the whole process on your behalf.

If you have a query about a party wall matter, please contact us, or call 0207 112 88 77 to speak to a surveyor.

Enquire Now

If you’re planning a project, complete the form below and we will be in touch shortly to discuss your requirements.

Chartered surveyorsChartered Surveyors Greenwich

If you require building surveying services in the Greenwich area, please contact us on the details below, or using the form.

t: 0207 112 88 77


Murrins Surveyors is an RICS Regulated Firm.

party walls london

Party Wall Guidance and Further Information

Party Wall Overview

The Party Wall (etc) Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing or resolving disputes that relate to party walls (walls under ownership of two or more people), party structures, boundary walls, and for excavations carried out near to neighbouring buildings.

Where a person intends to carry out works covered under the Act, they must serve appropriate notice on the adjoining owners who are affected by the works.

Works that are covered by the Act include:

  • Various works to an existing party structure
  • New building at or astride the boundary line with another property
  • Excavations with 3m or 6m depending on the depth

Notices can be served by anyone, but are typically served by a Party Wall Surveyor. The notices must contain certain information in order for them to be deemed valid by the Act.

Once the notices are served upon your neighbours, they then have 14 days to either consent to the works or dissent. Note that if they do not respond to the notice within the 14 day period, they are automatically deemed to have dissented.

In the event that your neighbour dissents, then a Party Wall Award must be prepared. This document sets out how the works are to be carried out an includes various other details relating to the progress of the works, including drawings and method statements where appropriate.

The Party Wall Award will be agreed by the surveyor(s), signed and issued to the owners. From that point on, the words must proceed in accordance with the Award.

Failure to comply with the Party Wall Act can lead to your neighbour seeking a injunction to prevent you from carrying on with the works.

Can I start works before the Award is finalised?

You cannot start any work that is applicable to the Party Wall Act. Therefore if you have other elements of the works which are not relevant to the Act, then these can be commenced. However, any work to a party structure, or otherwise covered by the Act should not be started until the Award is in place, or your neighbour has given their written consent for the works to proceed.

When is a Party Wall Notice required?

The Party Wall Act requires that notice is served upon your neighbours for only certain types of works. There are three types of notices, and these cover three primary types of works.

The types of notice are:

  1. Party Structure Notice: covering works directly to the party wall or structure.
  2. Line of Junction Notice: covering new building on, or next to the boundary line.
  3. Adjacent Excavation Notice: covering excavations near to neighbouring property.

Building on the boundary line, and excavations

You are required to serve a Line of Junction Notice and Adjacent Excavation Notice at least 1 month before the works start. The works covered in these notices is quite self explanatory but there are a few points covered here:

  • Line of Junction Notice: If you are building on, or immediately adjacent to, the boundary line with another property, you must serve a Line of Junction Notice at least on month before you start the construct the wall.
  • 3m Adjacent Excavation Notice: If you are excavating, for any purpose, within 3m of a neighbouring property, AND to a depth greater than the neighbouring property’s foundations, you must serve an Adjacent Excavation Notice at least 1 month before the excavation starts.
  • 6m Adjacent Excavation Notice: If you are excavating, for any purpose, within 6m of a neighbour property, AND to a depth greater than the path formed by drawing a diagonal line at a 45 degree angle downwards from the base of the neighbouring property’s foundations, you must serve an Adjacent Excavation Notice at least 1 month before the excavation starts.

Works to a party wall

If you plan to do works covered by the Party Wall Act directly to a party wall or structure, then you must serve a Party Structure Notice at least 2 months before the works commence.

Works covered by a Party Structure Notice

  • Underpinning, thickening or raising a party structure.
  • Making good, repairing, demolishing or rebuilding a party structure.
  • Cutting into a party structure, for any purpose such as inserting flashings, beams etc.

There are many other circumstances where a Party Structure Notice may be required, and if you are at all in doubt you should speak to a party wall surveyor.

What is a party wall award?

A Party Wall Award, sometimes referred to a Party Wall Agreement, is a legally binding document that is drafted and served by the surveyors appointed by either the building owner, or both the building owner and the adjoining owner. The Award sets out the nature that the works are to proceeded including working hours, methods, and access for third parties.

In most cases the Award will include a Schedule of Condition which details the condition of the areas of the adjoining owner’s property that are likely to be affected by the proposed works. This can then be used in the event that a dispute arrises relating to any damage caused by the works.

Party Wall Awards should only be prepared by those with experience and who understand the Act and have a good understanding of construction. This is why it is most appropriate to appoint a Chartered Surveyor to prepare the Award.

I've started work but haven't served a notice, what should I do?

If you have not issued Party Wall Notices upon your neighbour you should stop work and serve the notices as soon as possible. Failing to do this means that you works are being constructed outside of the law and you could be penalised for it.

In the event that your neighbours do not consent to the works you will need to follow the process set out in the Act and appoint a surveyor to prepare a Party Wall Award.